February 20, 2021 8:45am, February 27, 2021 8:45am
The Texas Exes Houston Chapter has always stood for, among other things, volunteerism, service and making a positive difference in our community. As a part of that mission, throughout the month of February, we once again join all Texas Exes around the globe as we take part in Project Worldwide! Through acts of service, we want to show the world just how active, connected and caring The University of Texas at Austin students and alumni are— and we truly believe that “What Starts Here Changes the World.”
We recognize the difficulties that all of us are facing during this time and are providing several ways to participate in this year’s event. We hope that these options provide you with multiple opportunities to join us in helping our community!
Canned Food Drive/ Donations to the Houston Food Bank
Given the impact of COVID-19, many families in the Houston area are experiencing hunger and food insecurity. We are teaming up with the Houston Food Bank to support our neighbors by collecting canned food and other items for those in need. If you are interested in donating canned goods for us to deliver to the Houston Food Bank, please contact Ryan Bayer at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can access the food bank’s most needed items list, here.
We are also collecting monetary donations for the Houston Food Bank. Donating funds may be the easiest and most effective way to contribute since the Houston Food Bank team knows more about what our communities need and is experienced in getting the most out of every dollar donated. You can make your donations here (for tracking purposes, please make sure to note that your donation is part of Project Worldwide).
Volunteer Days at the Houston Food Bank
We have set up the following in-person volunteering events at the Houston Food Bank warehouse:
- Saturday, February 20, 2021 – 08:45 AM – 12:00 PM – REGISTER HERE
- Saturday, February 27, 2021 – 08:45 AM – 12:00 PM – REGISTER HERE
We’ve reserved 29 spaces for each date (4 for youth and 25 for adults). Please register in advance at the links above. If spaces are full, please reach out to us and we will see if the Food Bank is able to accommodate.
Important details for the event:
- VOLUNTEER MASK OR FACE COVERING REQUIRED – PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN (you may also bring your own gloves, though they are not required).
- CLOSED-TOE SHOES REQUIRED – casual dress, long pants (preferred), t-shirt with sleeves.
- Volunteers MUST be at least six years old and supervised by parent or guardian throughout the shift.
- All volunteers under the age of 18 also need a completed Youth Volunteer Consent Form signed by a parent or guardian. A copy of this form can be requested from Dustin Le.
- Most of the projects at the warehouse involve inspection, sorting, and repackaging of donated food items for community distribution.
- If space permits it, you may park in the front parking lot, but in the event of a large volunteer turnout, you may be directed to our overflow lot located behind the building.
- Address: Houston Food Bank 535 Portwall St. Houston, TX 77029
Kids Meal’s Offsite Lunch Pack Program
We are also partnering with Kids’ Meals to provide nutritious meals to Houston area children in need. It’s easy to participate:
- Please contact Erin Phelps at email@example.com to confirm your participation, coordinate your donation pick up/delivery and ask any questions you may have.
- Purchase pre-packaged, non-perishable food and standard sized lunch bags (see a list of approved items, here).
- Assemble as many meals as you want, and decorate the bags if you like – this is a great way to brighten a child’s day and can be a fun way to engage your own children!
- Once complete, please contact Erin Phelps at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 20 to arrange the donations.
- After we have gathered all the donations, we will deliver them to Kids’ Meals on February 27.